Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday morning "Team Hadley" ride


Hi There!

So just keeping you up to date with the training. This morning was the "Team Hadley" Saturday morning ride. It wasn't my idea to call it that, but some people have said that Julie Dibens insisted that it was only right to name it after me...after all it is my ride, and I am in charge. So the group consisted of myself, my lady friend, Heidi Spees, Julie Dibens (3x World Champion), Tim O'Donnell (ITU Long course World Champ), Nikki Butterfield (pro cyclist), and Greg Remaly (pro triathlete).

If you think that cycling with women automatically means that it's going to be an easy ride..well then you're wrong. I have no shame in admitting that Julie put the hurt on us today.

These women are strong, and they don't feel pain like we do. Or they just don't moan like us. Nikki and Julie were pushing it all the way round at the front of our pack. One guy flew past us, only to realise his mistake 10 minutes later as the girls pulled us forward, caught him, and dropped him like a hot stone.

I had the ego, stupidity and the arrogance to cycle side by side with TO (Tim O'Donnell)at the front with Julie on my wheel as we approached the climb up to Carter Lake. For those of you that don't know this, the climb is a beast and a common time trial for the cyclists here. I thought I was being clever by upping the pace before the climb started. I assumed that as soon we hit the steep section, Julie's power could not match mine. Imagine my surprise as I stood out of the saddle to power on up the mountain, only to glare at this guy power smoothly past me...oh hang on, thats not a guy...thats Julie Dibens!!! "Oh bollocks!" I thought to myself as I immediatley jumped on her wheel...I'm getting chicked!!! TO had more pride than I (and he's a strong cyclist, so am I but...mmm) and managed to tackle her all the way up to Carter Lake. Me? I realised that Julie must have been cheating somehow...maybe I had a flat, or something to that affect. So I let them go, I was just taking it easy today anyway...not, but thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it damn it! I have come to the conclusion that Julie should be called "Julian Dibens", as I really don't know any other woman cyclist that ride that strong, and that fast.

You might think after the climb that that was the end of it. No, think again. We still had 2hours left of our ride. So Julie took great plesure in twisting the knife in us.

Well fortunatley, I managed to make it home after a 121km time trial! Awesome ride, and just what I needed.

Thank you to "Team Hadley" for accompanying me on this ride haha!

Speak to you soon!

2 comments:

ckrunfar said...

does sound like a flippn kickin day. i would have eaten the mothership afterwards as a reward. love this post, james! keep writing, you are hilarious.

Hadmeister General said...

Hey! Thanks Kay! Hope you are doing well! See you lter this year I hope!

Post a Comment